Connect with us

Metro

Nigerian Army Colonel Demands Investigation After N270m Payment From CBN

Published

on


A senior officer of the Nigerian Army recently received more than one-quarter of a billion naira from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

 

DAILY POST exclusively obtained a copy of the two-page letter written to the Army authority and the screenshot of the N270,000,000 credit alert enclosed as evidence.

 

Colonel MS (surname and service number withheld) addressed a memo dated April 14, 2023, to the Commandant of the Army War College (WU Bassey Barracks) in Asokoro, Abuja.

Titled “Request For Investigation Into The Payment Of Large Sum of Money Into My Salary Account”, he recalled receiving the money on April 3.

The Colonel’s bank account was credited with N270,000,000 paid through the CBN Alert System (reference number withheld).

The officer explained that he decided to call the attention of his superiors due to the alarming rate of fraud perpetrated in some government institutions.

“Sir, to the best of my knowledge, my emolument is by no way close to the amount paid, and I am not entitled to such payment from the CBN.

“Additionally, going by the current trend of financial fraud and sharp practices by various institutions, this raises alarm and concern for me,” he wrote.

The Colonel urged the Commandant to uncover the motive behind the payment “with a view to formally reverse it to the Federal Government coffers”.

Although it is early to speculate, a thorough probe is expected to reveal why the CBN erroneously transferred such a huge amount to a personal account.

Speaking on Friday on condition of anonymity, an officer at the War College told DAILY POST that the Army institution received the petition.

The serviceperson, who said the Commandant had already swung into action, praised the Colonel for displaying patriotism and putting the armed forces in a good light.

“I can confirm that the Commandant is working on the matter; he has informed higher authorities for further action”, he disclosed.

“The officer has done very well and we commend him for his honesty. This would no doubt go a very long way in helping the system.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headline

Bandits shoot 40 dead, sack Plateau community

Published

on

Bandits in their numbers reportedly attacked Zurak village in Bashar District of Wase local government area of Plateau State, killing more than 40 persons, including vigilantes.

 

According to residents of the community, the incident occurred around 5: pm, on Monday, when people were going about their normal activities.

 

The residents said but they could not immediately report the incident due to the poor communication network in the area.

According to Sahpi’i Sambo, a youth leader in the area, who also confirmed the incident to Daily Trust, the bandits arrived at the community on motorcycles – two on a bike – with sophisticated weapons and started shooting sporadically.

He said “More than 40 people were killed while many injured. Residents of the village have fled to neighbouring communities for cover. As of yesterday, security personnel had not yet arrived at the community. It was deadly,” Sambo said.

Spokesperson of the state police command, DSP Alabo Alfred, had not responded to inquiry by our correspondent as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading

Metro

Ex-Sports Minister laments after hospital neglected him for hours over N80000 deposit

Published

on

A former Minister of Youth and Sports, Solomon Dalung, has recounted how a hospital in Plateau State did not attend to him because of the non-payment of the admission deposit.

 

Dalung said he fell ill on Wednesday, May 8, and went to the unnamed hospital for treatment but that the hospital refused to give him treatment because he had yet to make an admission deposit despite holding his medical records. The former minister said he regained partial consciousness later and transferred the deposit before he was attended to.

 

“I took ill on Wednesday, arrived at the hospital & shortly became unconscious after doctor’s interviews. Was ferried into emergency ward but abandoned for over 4 hrs due to non payments of admission deposits. Regained partial consciousness later did the transfer of deposit.

After that, I fell into unconsciousness again for about 7 hours. To God be the glory, I have been discharged after 3 days & recovering. Were it not for partial consciousness to pay the deposits, I would have been Mr. late. Many Nigerians have gone this way. Where is our humanity?

I was then admitted into the ward and given medical attention. This is the hospital that has my medical records. The last medical checkup I did about 2 months ago was there, but suddenly, I became a stranger because of non payments of deposits even with the so-called name. Hmmmm”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending