Connect with us

News

Umahi: Tinubu Has Approved Over 260 Emergency Road Repairs

Published

on

Last Updated on October 13, 2023 by Fellow Press

Works Minister David Umahi announced this while addressing reporters after a meeting with the President at the Presidential Villa yesterday in Abuja.

The minister, who said the emergency repairs would gulp about N217 billion, added that the President had approved more road interventions, including project upgrades.

He said President Tinubu had also approved the resurfacing of the Third Mainland Bridge, construction of Lekki Deep Seaport road, both in Lagos; re-construction of two collapsed bridges in Enugu, and reconstruction of two locations on the Onitsha-Owerri road.
Other roads approved for construction include the upgrading of the ongoing Abuja-Keffi-Akwanga-Lafia road, and the dualisation of Lafia by-pass.

“I’ve always commended Mr. President for his deep interest in reinstating most of our roads in the country. Everyday, we get a lot of concerns from the public on the very deplorable situations of our roads. But there is no paper I brought in respect of this that Mr. President has not approved.

“Just yesterday, he approved over 260 road interventions across the 36 states and the FCT. You will recall that, last week, he approved a lot of emergency roads and bridge repairs. We have three bridges that collapsed on the Southwest roads that he approved for reconstruction immediately. We have the Shendam- Lafia that collapsed; we also have the approval for its repairs.

“We have about 17 points along the East-West Road that have been destroyed by flood. Mr. President has approved and released money for the immediate repairs. Of course, the Third Mainland Bridge’s resurfacing and repairs of some noticeable deflections, which have to be done under the deck on top of the water with equipment, he has also approved that.

Two bridges that collapsed in Enugu approved by Mr. President. The two locations on the Onitsha-Owerri Road, Mr. President approved its reconstruction. for Lokoja-Abuja Road, Mr. President approved the reconstruction.

“I can name them, apart from the 260 emergency repairs all over the country that are worth about N217 billion. So, I’m quite glad.

“This afternoon again, Mr. President approved upgrading of the Abuja-Keffi-Akwanga-Lafia road. Of course, it’s ongoing. But it’s a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) with the Chinese and we’re paying 15 per cent.

“Also, the construction of the Lafia bypass dualisation from Makurdi through Oturkpo, through Oboloafor, down to Ninth Mile. It’s a major one, but Mr. President has approved it. This is also being financed by the China EXIMBank; the Lafia-Keffi Road is also financed by Chinese EXIMBank.

“Then the Seventh AXA Road, Lekki Deep Seaport (access) in Lagos; you know the Lagos State government is building the deep seaport, meaning that all the cargoes that cannot berth at the existing ports in Lagos can now come to that location. That’s where the Dangote Refinery is located.”

News

Accept FG offer above N60,000 as new minimum wage, Opeyemi Bamidele to labour

Published

on

The Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, APC, Ekiti Central has pleaded with the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC and the Trade Union Congress, TUC
to accept whatever the federal government offered them above N60,000 as the new minimum wage.

Bamidele urged the NLC and TUC to toe the path of dialogue and peace in the negotiation of a new minimum wage, which the President had promised to send a bill to the National Assembly for this purpose.

The Senate Leader has reiterated the need for Nigerians to demonstrate more patriotic spirit and oneness in their daily activities as the nation journeys through its socio-political trajectory towards the promised land.

He made the call in an Eid-el-Kabir message by his Directorate of Media and Public Affairs on Sunday, just as he highlighted some achievements of the administration of President BolaTinubu.

Bamidele said, “The federal government has conceded to N60,000, which translates to a 100 percent increase. But both NLC and TUC turned down this offer, leading to a two-day industrial action.

“The federal government has promised to make more concessions in this respect. As the federal government reveals its new offer, I plead with the organised labour to accept it in the national interest. The economy will remain in this condition. Collectively, we are taking multi-pronged measures to reverse disturbing economic indicators.”has conceded to N60,000, which translates to a 100 percent increase. But both NLC and TUC turned down this offer, leading to a two-day industrial action.

“The federal government has promised to make more concessions in this respect. As the federal government reveals its new offer, I plead with the organised labour to accept it in the national interest. The economy will remain in this condition. Collectively, we are taking multi-pronged measures to reverse disturbing economic indicators.”

While identifying with all Muslim faithful nationwide, Bamidele who noted that Nigerians, regardless of religion and tribes, should team up with and rally support for the Tinubu administration to safely steer the ship of the nation into a successful end, emphasised that no nation could travel the journey of national rebirth alone without the unwavering support of its citizens not minding their political, cultural and social backgrounds and orientations.

He assured that the current administration would leave no stone unturned in alleviating the economic hardship being faced by the majority of Nigerians and re-offer them a sense of pride in their home country.

In the spirit of the season, the Senate Leader urged all Muslims to emulate love and good neighbourliness exemplified by Prophet Mohammed (SWAT) during his time and how he related very well with people of other faiths and nationalities.

Bamidele who appealed that the ongoing reengineering efforts of the Tinubu Administration could only yield democratic dividends in an atmosphere devoid of insecurity, but where lives and property are protected, said: “Just to mention a few among ongoing projects like the 700 kilometres Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, the establishment of N50 Billion Pulako Initiative and annual recruitment of 30,000 new police personnel are Key Performance Indicators of this government.

“Only recently, this government declared a state of emergency in agriculture and launched the National Agricultural Development Fund with N100 billion, in addition to the Dry Season Farming Initiative and the Green Imperative Programme to ensure food security across the land.

“All these and other components of the 8-point Renewed Hope Agenda require the patriotic support and prayers for their deliverables to multiply at the doorsteps of Nigerians in the remaining three years of the first term of this government.”

He further urged the Muslim faithful to use the season of Eid el-Kabir to pray for the leaders of the country for divine wisdom and understanding that can match the enormous tasks of leading the country especially at a time when economic realities are not favourable around the world.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

FG updates on UAE lifting visa ban on Nigeria

Published

on

The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, has revealed that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government will soon announce the date for lifting the visa ban that has been imposed on Nigerian travellers.

This information was shared during an interview with Otega Ogra, Senior Special Assistant to President Bola Tinubu, which is available on the official YouTube page of the State House of Nigeria.

Keyamo acknowledged that while a resolution was reached between President Bola Tinubu and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan during President Tinubu’s working visit to the UAE in September 2023, additional processes were required before the ban could be officially lifted.

He said the processes have now been completed, paving the way for the imminent announcement from the UAE government.

“After that high-level meeting, Mr. President, credited to him, made things very easy for us all. We did our follow-ups as his ministers. We have done everything. We have resolved everything.

“Just wait for the announcement from the UAE government, and that announcement is imminent,” Keyamo stated.

The Minister further mentioned that he is aware of the specific date when the travel restriction will be lifted, but he emphasized that it is up to the UAE government to make the official announcement.

The lifting of the ban is expected to restore ease of travel for Nigerian citizens to the UAE, thereby enhancing bilateral relations and cooperation between the two countries.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending