Connect with us

Headline

We’ve Moved On From Supreme Court Judgment – LP

Published

on

The Labour Party (LP) has announced its decision to move on following the Supreme Court judgment that affirmed the victory of Presidential Bola Tinubu in the February 25 election.

 

Julius Abure, the LP National Chairman, made the remark while accusing the Supreme Court of shredding the fabric of justice and good conscience in its verdicts.

 

The Justice John Okoro-led five-man panel of justices had thrown out LP presidential candidate, Peter Obi’s appeal challenging Tinubu’s victory in the last presidential election.

Obi had called for the disqualification of Vice President Kashim Shettima due to double nomination.

He claimed that Shettima was not qualified to serve as Tinubu’s running mate during the last presidential election.

But, Justice Okoro of the Supreme Court said it cannot allow the matter of double nomination to be relitigated.

The justice recalled that the apex court issued a judgement on the matter when it was before a lower court.

“This matter ought not to have come here. When the matter was pending at the trial court, this court delivered judgement on it. This appeal lacks merit and is hereby dismissed,” the court ruled.

In a similar vein, the apex court dismissed the appeal of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, challenging Tinubu’s victory.

Faulting the Supreme Court judgment, Abure described the verdict as disappointing while expressing hope for the future.

A statement by Abure reads partly: “The leadership of Labour Party watched as the sacred fabric of justice and good conscience was shredded today at the Supreme Court as it delivered its verdict in the case between our party, the presidential candidate and the APC presidential candidate.

“We are indeed very shocked and surprised that even the apex Court will toe the line of an earlier judgement in spite of all the flaws associated with the judgement delivered by the Presidential Election Appeal Tribunal.

“Having conclusively exercised our fundamental rights as gifted to us by the laws of the land, we have no other choice but to move on. We may be disappointed and dismayed by the outcome of the exercise, but we have chosen to trudge on and to remain optimistic of what the future holds for the nation.

“We weep for our institutions that cannot rise to the occasion and courageously defend democracy and the voices of our people.”

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

Headline

Real Madrid’s goalkeeper shares recovery insights after two injuries

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has opened up about his recovery journey following two serious knee injuries.

 

Courtois said, “In August, I cried because the worst thing that can happen to you in football is a cruciate ligament injury. When I returned home, I said that I was going to work hard and come back stronger. That was my idea from the beginning: to stay positive, fight, never give up, and push my limits.

 

“Many thought my season was over, but I knew it wasn’t,” Courtois told Marca.

Recall that for most of the current season, Courtois missed out due to two injuries: a cruciate ligament tear and a meniscus injury. In his absence, first-choice goalkeeper was Chelsea’s loanee Kepa Arrizabalaga, and later, he faced competition from Andriy Lunin.

Upon his return, Courtois played in 3 La Liga matches, keeping clean sheets in all of them. In the last game against Alaves, the Belgian made 10 saves.

Earlier, it was reported that Courtois’ recovery from injury will be featured in a documentary series.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending