The Federal Government has reacted to accusations that the youth empowerment initiative, N-Power, is being hijacked by some politicians in Kwara state, through distribution of application forms to their favourite candidates in order to have edge over others in the selection process.
Dissociating itself from the fake form as well as reiterating its commitment to fair selection and transparency, the scheme said the only application it reckon with is that done online, therefore invalidating all means to cut corners.
Kwara State government had in June said it targeted 25,000 beneficiaries in the second batch of th N-Power inititive programme of the Federal Government. Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Youth Empowerment, Alhaji Zakariyau Babatunde, stated this in Gwaria at the Flagg off of the second phase of Kwara North Senatorial district sensitization campaign on N-Power.
The Governor’s aide, also said that the state is setting pace for the enrollment of the unemployed youths within the age of eighteen to thirty five years on the programme. said if twenty five thousand youths were enrolled, about seven hundred and fifty million naira would be coming to the state monthly.
On its official Twitter handle @npower_ng, the scheme said: “Politicians collecting information is a “THEM” problem. We have said again and again, that the only application we recognize is done online”.
The response was prompted by a Twitter user who had insinuated that the process might not be fair since some applicants have been given physical forms to fill. “Politicians has started collecting people information in Kwara state, what’s that logic? Last year was pure but this year is corrupt already”
Politicians has started collecting peoples information in Kwara state, what’s that logic?Last year was pure but this year is corrupt already
— Jejelowo emmanuel (@Eckomanueltweet) July 17, 2017
Recall that FELLOW PRESS had reported that the Acting President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, yesterday while visiting the headquarters of the scheme in Abuja, had extended the closing date of the second batch of N-Power application. The portal will remain open till July 27.