Connect with us

Foreign

COUP UPDATES: Putin Reportedly Leaves Moscow

Published

on

Tensions rise in Russia as the Southern Russian Military District Headquarters in Rostov is surrounded by armed military personnel.

The surrounding military personnel, which includes tanks pointing towards the headquarters, are elements of Wagner group but also some of the soldiers are wearing Russian National Guard patches accompanied by National Guard/Military trucks.

Many soldiers have confirmed to be a part of Wagner group.

This most likely indicates that factions of the Russian military as well as the National Guard, which is the MOST LOYAL to Putin, have DEFECTED to Wagner as part of the ongoing coup.

Furthermore, the Southern Russian Military District has NUCLEAR WEAPONS within it’s realm of responsibility. Now this does not mean that they’re easily accessible, however it does mean that too much chaos in the chain of command could POTENTIALLY have a very sinister outcome.

We’ve also received UNCONFIRMED reports of multiple Defense Ministry units involved in the Ukraine war are moving under Prigozhin’s command, with commanders Shoigu and Gerasimov (both loyal to Putin and report directly to the President) reportedly being removed from power.

What is also rather concerning is that we’ve heard nothing NOTHING from Putin.

As the coup continues, here’s the latest updates from our various sources live on the ongoing Twitter Space:

– Worries of the Russian Nuclear Warheads moved to Belarus weeks ago

– Wagner forces continue their advance to Moscow with limited strikes by the Russian Air Force

– Reports of Putin and other officials leaving Moscow and heading to Saint Petersburg based on the movement of Military VIP aircrafts. TASS, which is Gov controlled media outlet, reported that Putin is heading to Saint Petersburg, but Putin’s Press Secretary refuted those reports. It is very unusual and rare to see such a disconnect between TASS and the Kremlin.

Foreign

Putin Registers As Candidate For Russia’s Next Presidential Election

Published

on

Russia on Monday officially recognised Vladimir Putin as a candidate for the presidential elections in March, a vote that he is all but certain to win.

The 71-year-old has led Russia since the turn of the century, winning four presidential ballots and briefly serving as prime minister in a system where opposition has become virtually non-existent.

The Central Election Commission said it had registered Putin, who nominated himself, as well as right-wing firebrand and Putin-loyalist Leonid Slutsky as candidates for the vote.

The election will be held over a three-day period from March 15 to 17, a move that Kremlin critics have argued makes guaranteeing transparency more difficult.

Following a controversial constitutional reform in 2020, Putin could stay in power until at least 2036.

Rights groups say that previous elections have been marred by irregularities and that independent observers are likely to be barred from monitoring the vote.

While Putin is not expected to face any real competition, liberal challenger Boris Nadezhdin has passed the threshold of signatures to be registered as a candidate.

However, it is still unclear if he will be allowed to run, and the Kremlin has said it does not consider him to be a serious rival.

Continue Reading

Foreign

Hong Kong court grants Chinese real estate giant reorganisation postponement

Published

on

Hong Kong’s Supreme Court has once again granted the highly indebted Chinese real estate giant Evergrande a postponement for its reorganisation plan.

Judge Linda Chan surprisingly postponed the decision until Jan. 29, the South China Morning Post reported on Monday.

The property developer, which has liabilities estimated at more than 300 billion dollars, is threatened with liquidation.

However, creditors from abroad had taken the company to court because of its missing several payments.

Chan had already said at the previous hearing that this would be the last postponement and that she would very likely agree to liquidation if China Evergrande did not find a plan for restructuring with its creditors.

According to reports, however, the lawyers of the Hong Kong-listed group had now held out the prospect of being able to reach an agreement with the lenders in the coming weeks.

In the case of liquidation, an insolvency administrator would monetise the company and pay out the creditors.

Meanwhile, some experts were of the opinion that liquidation would return less money to creditors than a reorganisation, China Evergrande argued the same in court, according to reports.

The group had been trying to submit a restructuring plan since 2022, without success. Its founder and once China’s richest man, Hui Ka Yan, is being investigated by the Chinese authorities.

Like many other property groups, the company had been in a serious crisis for some time because it is earning significantly less on the slumping property market.

The company is finding it more difficult to obtain state support and is no longer able to service its loans.

“The Evergrande case also shows that the era of large private property developers in China is coming to an end,’’ says Max Zenglein from the Merics China Institute in Berlin.

If Chan decides to wind up China Evergrande, this could also have an impact on other companies.

“One challenge for the government will be to prevent domino effects in the economy caused by major bankruptcies,’’ says Zenglein.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending