Connect with us

Metro

NAFDAC raids hawkers’ outlets, seizes products worth N10m in Kaduna

Published

on

Nafdac

Last Updated on July 28, 2023 by Fellow Press

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), said it seized products worth more than N10 million at hawkers’ and illegal drug sellers’ outlets in some parts of Kaduna State.

Mr Tamanuwa Andrew-Baba, NAFDAC’s Deputy Director, Investigation and Enforcement, Pharmaceutical Enforcement Directorate, Kaduna State, made the disclosure on Friday in Kaduna.

He explained that the raid was conducted to clear out hawkers on the streets, motor parks and around worship centres, adding that its operatives arrested six suspects.

Andrew-Baba added that the raid was conducted following the media sensitisation campaign on the dangers of drug hawking and ripening of fruits with calcium carbide, which began two weeks ago.

“We came out to raid hawkers on the streets, motor parks and worship centres as a fall out of our Director-General’s promise.

“She promised that we would commence a regional clam down on all hawkers to ensure people got the right medicines.”

According to him, the exercise is a continuous process, which is sounding a loud warning to others who do not want to repent from the act of drug peddling that, henceforth, they will be prosecuted.

The NAFDAC boss said some of the items seized were over-the-counter drugs, which were not supposed to be sold by hawkers.

“We found some of the hawkers selling drugs, such as Hiegra 200mg, which is above what our agency registers; our agency registers 100mg.

“Most of the drugs seized are sex enhancers, like ‘night rockets’, ‘black diamonds’, ‘double rockets’, ‘AK-47’, and many other herbal products,” he said.

The deputy director appealed to residents not to patronise the hawkers because in most cases what they sold were no longer medicines but toxic substances, which had been exposed to harsh weather condition.

“We will continue to senstitise members of the public to stop patronising the hawkers, as what they are selling are not NAFDAC-approved.

“If there is no buyer, then there will be no seller,” he added.

Headline

Minimum wage: Archbishop urges compromise

Published

on

Last Updated on June 9, 2024 by Fellow Press

Archbishop Joseph Ojo, General Overseer of the Calvary Kingdom Church, Okokomaiko, Lagos State, on Saturday urged labour leaders and the Federal Government to reach a compromise as regards a new minimum wage.

Ojo made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos.

The archbishop described wage negotiation as a social contract that should be approached with empathy by parties.

According to him compromise is needed in the matter to save the country from anxiety.

“They should consider the fact that the unemployed are much more than the few that are in government employment.

“The federal, states and local governments only employed some workers.

“Others are in firms owned and operated by individuals that might not be able to pay higher wage.

“The higher they push it, the higher the inability of the unemployed to survive, because firms, which struggle to pay staff, may not talk of hiring new ones,” he said.

The cleric said that lack of employment might result in increase in crimes.

“There are private sector employers, who cannot cope with what the federal or states will offer,” he added.

The cleric said that high wage bill might compel private schools to increase school bills to meet up with overhead costs.

“Some parents will not meet up, and their children would be forced to drop out of school,” he said.

He also advised governments to consider subsisting social-economic variables, such as cost of food items, transport and medical bills, and offer a sustainable minimum wage.

“The parties ought to put all these into consideration to achieve progress in their negotiation,” the cleric said.

NAN reports that the Nigeria Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress are now demanding N250, 000 as a new minimum wage.

The Federal Government has offered to pay N62,000.

Negotiations are ongoing.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Over 200 intending pilgrims protest in Ilorin over faulty aircraft

Published

on

Last Updated on June 7, 2024 by Fellow Press

No fewer than 200 intending pilgrims from Kwara on Friday protested at llorin international Airport over the inability of an aircraft to transport them to Saudi Arabia.

The pilgrims, officials of the State Pilgrims Welfare Board and the 2024 state Amirul Hajj had boarded the aircraft since Thursday.

The aircraft was, however, said to have developed a technical fault.

Some engineers with the Federal Airport Authority had been making frantic efforts to repair the faulty aircraft since Thursday without success.

Consequently, some of the intending pilgrims staged a protest over the development.

The intending pilgrims, alongside their relations, took the protest to the highway linking the airport with other communities to express their displeasure over the situation.

Some of the protesters were seen singing solidarity songs condemning the situation, especially since they are the tenth and last batch from the state.

Sen. lbrahim Oloriegbe, the state’s 2024 Amirul Hajj, while speaking with NAN, attributed the failure to transport the last batch of the pilgrims to faulty aircraft.

Oloriegbe said the intending pilgrims had boarded the aircraft since Thursday but were unable to be transported following the development.

The Amirul hajj said that they are expecting another aircraft from Medinnah to transport the intending pilgrims and the officials.

He appealed to them to exercise patience, as the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria was on top of the situation.

He said that the board would continue to cater for the feeding of the intending pilgrims pending when they would be transported to the holy land.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending