Connect with us

Headline

Jigawa, NEPZA agree to revitalise state’s free trade

Published

on

Jigawa State Government

Last Updated on August 2, 2023 by Fellow Press

Jigawa State Government and the Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA) have agreed to revitalise the state’s Maigatari Export Processing Zone.

The duo agreed when the Jigawa State Governor, Umar Namadi, visited the Managing Director of NEPZA, Prof. Adesoji Adesugba on Wednesday in Abuja.
According to the Namadi, the Free Trade Zone(FTZ) has numerous potentials and benefits to the people and the country at large and needs to be made operational.

The governor said:“We felt that we have a free zone that has been lying fallow for some years and we need to bring it into operation.

“And the best place we should start this process is NEPZA, so we made contacts and the managing director agreed to see us in such short notice.

“We came here to solicit for their expert advice on how we can bring our free zone into operation and to solicit for the MD’s support in terms of licences and registration fees.

“We know that we are owing the authority and we feel that he (Adesugba) should be able to allow us some leverage so we can stagger the payment and resume operations.”

According to Namadi, the free zone has a lot of potentials and it is going to contribute to the economic development of this country.

“In addition to giving lots of opportunities to our youths to get employed among other things.

“So because of that, it is necessary that we put it into operation, and you cannot do that without consulting experts and I think NEPZA is the best place to come.

“And that is why we are here. We are happy with the discussions we had with the MD and the fact that he is so committed to make the free zone work. So we think the visit is fruitful,” Namadi said.

On time frame, the governor expressed optimism that before the end of 2023 the FTZ should come into operation as everything necessary to make it work was available.

On security, Namadi said:“Jigawa is so far the safest state in Nigeria but we are also security conscious and making sure that investors and the state is well secured.

Responding, the NEPZA boss expressed the committment of the Authority to support the state and all other states willing to drive trade and develop the country’s economy.

Adesugba said:“We have been trying to work with the state to activate that free zone because we see it as a critical infrastructure that could do a lot for that part of the country.

“So we cannot say more than we are happy and we are going to work straight away on our first meeting to determine and structure the way forward.

“The governor has given us ultimatum that before the end of this year we should make it work but you know of course that we have a track record.

“We have done it for Kano, Calabar free zone and we are confident that with the kind of Governor we have, working with NEPZA we will definitely deliver this reactivation programme within the shortest period of time. “

Some of the issues which the duo planned on discussing includes revitalisation of the zone’s infrastructure facilities and hibiscus sorting, grading and packaging.

Other areas are bulk breaking centres and warehousing facilities, payment of outstanding operational licence fees from 2017 to date and formation of steering committee to bring up recommendations within five weeks.

Breaking News

Tinubu increasing poverty instead of reducing it– Labour Party

Published

on

President Tinubu

Last Updated on June 19, 2024 by Fellow Press

The Labour Party has expressed its disappointment over President Bola Tinubu’s statement which it described as making a mockery of Nigerians as poor.

The National Publicity Secretary of the party, Obiora Ifoh, who said this added that the President needed to be reminded that he was elected into office to reduce if not eliminate poverty and not increase it.

He was reacting to President Tinubu’s statement that Nigerians were not the only ones suffering from poverty.

According to him: “We are disappointed but not surprised by the comments made by President Ahmed Bola Tinubu about the excruciating poverty his administration’s policies have unleashed on Nigerians since he took office over a year ago.

“It was to say the least disheartening to hear Mr. President mock his citizens by saying Nigerians are not the only ones facing poverty.

“Assuming but not conceding that what he said is true, Nigerians who are at the receiving end of his harsh economic policies don’t need to be reminded about the pain and hunger they have been forced to live with by the very people who put them in that situation in the first place.

“May be this administration needs to be reminded that it was elected to reduce if not eliminate poverty, hunger and disease but what we have seen is an obsession with opulence.

“We are yet to get over the billions appropriated for the renovation of the President and Vice President’s lodges, now we hear they want new jets to join the Presidential fleet.”

He said the nation’s schools and health institutions were on their knees and the same government claims it cannot afford to pay public servants a living wage but has enough to make itself comfortable at the expense of the suffering masses.

He implored the President to uphold the constitution he swore to protect, adding that the constitution says the security and welfare of the populace shall be the primary purpose of the existence of the government.

Continue Reading

Headline

Gunmen kill three while enforcing sit-at-home in Anambra communities

Published

on

Last Updated on June 19, 2024 by Fellow Press

Some gunmen, who were enforcing sit-at-home, have reportedly killed many people and injured others in two Anambra communities.

The gunmen invaded Nnewichi community in Nnewi north LGA and Nnobi community in Idemili south LGA, on Monday morning.

At Nnewichi community, the gunmen were said to have invaded a hotel after discovering that some persons were having a meeting there. The gunmen started shooting sporadically at the hotel premises, while destroying properties.

The assailants were said to have killed Oseloka Ubajiekwe, head of the vigilante group and chief security officer of the community, while he was attempting to wade off the attackers.
Those who sustained injuries have been taken to various hospitals in the state. At Nnobi community, the gunmen shot sporadically to scare away residents and engaged in gun duels with security operatives.

Confirming the attacks in a statement, Tochukwu Ikenga, Anambra police spokesperson, said only three persons, including a 22-year-old lady, have been confirmed dead.

“The commissioner of police, CP Nnaghe Obono Itam, has ordered an immediate manhunt operation on the armed men operating in a red Highlander jeep, who abducted a citizen in Nnewi by 1:30 pm yesterday 17/6/2024 and were trailed to Nnobi, where they engaged security operatives in a gun battle,” Ikenga said.

During the gun duel, one of the security operatives was fatally hit by the bullet and due to the indiscriminate shootings by the hoodlums in an attempt to escape the scene, the bullet also fatally struck two innocent passersby in the area.

“The police responding team at the scene recovered the bodies of the victims and took them to the hospital but regrettably, three of the victims including a 22-year-old lady were confirmed dead by the doctors on duty while two others are currently receiving treatment.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending