Connect with us

Headline

Urban violence has reduced significantly in Borno, says Commissioner

Published

on

Babagana Zulum

Last Updated on August 21, 2023 by Fellow Press

Urban violence which engulfed Maiduguri and environs has reduced drastically, the Commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Prof. Usman Tar has said.

Tar made this known on Sunday while giving an update on the security situation in Borno.

”Activities of gang groups prompted Gov. Babagana Zulum to order a security clampdown on criminal elements in the state.

“These kinds of urban violence and criminality have subsided significantly. In Maiduguri, the so-called ‘Marlian thugs’ are being curtailed through concerted surveillance, apprehension and prosecution of suspects.

“A synergy between the theatre command, law enforcement agencies, communities and civil volunteers (Civilian JTF) has decimated the threats of youths bulge, associated violence and criminality,” Tar said.

On the mass surrender of insurgents, Tar said the Disarmament, Demobilization, Deradicalisation, Rahabilitation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDDRRR) programme of the surrendered insurgents known as “Borno Model” was on course.

He said that the programme was designed to provide a “root and branch” approach to ending the Boko Haram insurgency.

“Under the DDDRRR programme, the Borno Government has so far received over 100,000 Boko Haram/ISWAP fighters, farmers, women and children.

“Out of this figure over 50 per cent are women and children, about 42 per cent are captive farmers, less than eight per cent are conscripted fighters and commanders,” Tar said.

According to him, government has since inception of the programme, reintegrated 6,900 minors and low risk back to their communities in six batches

While commenting on closure of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and relocation of IDPs and refugees back to thier recovered areas, Tar said many had been successfully resettled in northern and central parts of the state.

“Resettlement of IDPs to remote locations is being implemented in the longer term, subject to reconstruction of houses and improvement of security on the ground”, Tar said.

In Yobe where there is no pronounced cases of urban violence while insurgents attacks has drastically reduced, the Director of Community Outreach, Mr Idris Baffa lauded the relative peace in the state but raised concerns over possible suprise attacks on soft targets.

Baffa said that there have been reports of suspicious movements from some areas of the state that needed security attention.

“Farmers and herders are telling us that there are movements of these terrorists in Futchimiram, Garin Tura, Bulabulun and Bultuwa; In some of these areas, the insurgents are imposing taxes on herds and grains,” Baffa said.

The director called for deployment of troops to Geidam town to step up patrols in the hinterland, particularly in wards like Fejina/Fukurti, Zurgu Ngelewa/Borko and Futchimiram that were still inaccessible due to activities of the insurgents.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that on July 26, Gov. Zulum directed security operatives to crack down on the notorious ”Marlian” group believed to be terrorising residents in some parts of Maiduguri and Jere within the metropolis.

The ”Marlian group”, which is populated by some youths associated with drug abuse, has gained notoriety for engaging in a wide range of criminal activities, such as extortion, robbery, drug and substance abuse, and acts of terrorism, including the killing of security operatives.

Zulum during an emergency security meeting in Maiduguri, said:” I summoned this emergency security council meeting to address the emerging security threat that is bedevilling the Maiduguri metropolis and parts of Jere Local Government, with a view to coming up with additional implementable strategies to guarantee the needed peace and security.

“Intelligence reports reaching my office from different sources have indicated increasing activities of youth gangsterism operating in some parts of the state capital and Jere Local Government.

”This syndicate specialised not only in phone snatching in broad daylight, robbery and possession of locally made weapons, but has now graduated into the killing of innocent lives, including security operatives,” the governor declared.

Zulum, who was deeply concerned about the escalating violence, expressed the government’s determination to restore peace and ensure the safety of all residents.

“I want to assure the general public that the government of Borno, under my leadership, will not allow such a matter to deteriorate. I have received assurances from the security operatives of their commitment to tame such dastardly acts, and our administration is ever committed to dealing with such matters within the shortest possible time,” Zulum said.

Breaking News

FG updates on UAE lifting visa ban on Nigeria

Published

on

The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, has revealed that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government will soon announce the date for lifting the visa ban that has been imposed on Nigerian travellers.

This information was shared during an interview with Otega Ogra, Senior Special Assistant to President Bola Tinubu, which is available on the official YouTube page of the State House of Nigeria.

Keyamo acknowledged that while a resolution was reached between President Bola Tinubu and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan during President Tinubu’s working visit to the UAE in September 2023, additional processes were required before the ban could be officially lifted.

He said the processes have now been completed, paving the way for the imminent announcement from the UAE government.

“After that high-level meeting, Mr. President, credited to him, made things very easy for us all. We did our follow-ups as his ministers. We have done everything. We have resolved everything.

“Just wait for the announcement from the UAE government, and that announcement is imminent,” Keyamo stated.

The Minister further mentioned that he is aware of the specific date when the travel restriction will be lifted, but he emphasized that it is up to the UAE government to make the official announcement.

The lifting of the ban is expected to restore ease of travel for Nigerian citizens to the UAE, thereby enhancing bilateral relations and cooperation between the two countries.

Continue Reading

Headline

Otedola, Zenith Bank settle out-of-court

Published

on

The Federal High Court of Nigeria, Lagos Division, dismissed the case on Thursday on receiving a notice of discontinuance from the plaintiffs.

Femi Otedola, the chairman of FBN Holdings and majority shareholder of Geregu Plc, and some of his companies have opted for an out-of-court settlement with Zenith Bank Plc.

Otedola was involved in a legal dispute with the bank over alleged “fraudulent transactions” on his company’s accounts.

Court papers obtained by PREMIUM TIMES showed the Federal High Court of Nigeria, Lagos Division, where Mr Otedola and his companies filed the suit against the lender on 12 March, dismissed the case on Thursday, 13 June, on receiving a notice of discontinuance from the plaintiffs.

Zenon Petroleum & Gas Limited, Seaforce Shipping Co. Limited, Luzon Oil & Gas Limited, Garment Care and Mr Otedola were the plaintiffs, while Zenith Bank, Quantum Zenith Securities & Investment Limited, Veritas Registrars Limited and Central Securities Clearing System Plc were the defendants.

According to a court document, Justice A.O. Faji discontinued the lawsuit after the counsel for the first to third defendants and the counsel for the plaintiffs asked for the matter to be dismissed, with the “counsel for the fourth defendant not objecting.”

Details

Mr Otedola and his companies initiated legal action against Zenith Bank and the other defendants in March, claiming that the lender disposed of his shares in the bank without authorisation, manipulated the companies’ bank accounts and fabricated some documents to conceal the alleged crimes.

He accused the lender of wrongfully calculating his debts before selling them to the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), which the bank set up to buy the non-performing loans in the books of banks with the intention of recovering them thereafter.

Zenon had claimed that the letters of credit that led to the bad loans AMCON acquired were opened before the corporation took over the debt in December 2011. The company stopped operating the account after AMCON’s intervention.

According to a document seen by PREMIUM TIMES, the overdue on Zenon’s account at the point AMCON took over the liabilities was N39 billion. Zenon said Zenith Bank offered the debt to the corporation at N49 billion. AMCON ended up paying the bank N44.1 billion for the debt.

Sources with knowledge of the matter told PREMIUM TIMES in May that Mr Otedola chose to take legal action against the bank after several failed reconciliation attempts. During the month, both parties held three meetings, none yielding the desired results.

“It is clear that Zenith Bank Plc is not sincere in resolving this issue out of court and as such a time-wasting exercise,” one of the sources said.

“At this juncture, we have resolved to pursue our claims via the judiciary, law enforcement, the CBN and the court of public opinion as we know that our claims are very genuine.”

According to a document detailing the deliberations of both parties at a meeting held on 20 May, Zenith Bank agreed to refund the N205 million it wrongfully debited to Zenon’s account with compounded accrued interest using a bankdraft.

Seaforce Shipping Company Limited, owned by the billionaire tycoon, said Zenith Bank presented some statements of account claiming that it owed the bank N5.9 billion as of February 2024. It added that Zenith Bank abandoned the claim after the company showed proof that Seaforce’s account was in credit as of 2018.

A source said Zenith Bank sold the 415 million shares that Zenon held in Zenith Bank for N4.9 billion in December 2010, noting that the shares were repurchased in the following month for N5.4 billion, triggering a net loss of N142.9 million.

He further disclosed that related transactions were carried out on Mr Otedola’s account, causing a net loss of N61.5 million and a combined loss of N205.4 million in both cases.

Isyaku Mohammed, the commissioner of police in charge of administration at the Force Criminal Investigation Department, summoned the managing director of Zenith Bank on 16 May over what he described as an alleged unauthorised debit to Zenon’s account.

“This office is investigating an alleged case of fraudulent misrepresentation, wrongful debit and unauthorised transactions referred from the assistant inspector general of police, FCID Annex, Alagbon Close, Ikoyi, Lagos, involving your financial institution,” the letter, a copy obtained by PREMIUM TIMES, read.

“A precis of the petition at disposal reveals that sometime in 2011, an unauthorised withdrawal was carried out on the account of Zenon Petroleum Gas Limited with number 10110385211 to the tune of Two Hundred and Five Million, Three Hundred and Forty-six Thousand, Five Hundred and Seventy-Three Naira (N205,346,573.00) without justification.”

The letter stated that Zenith Bank wrongfully opened some letters of credit after AMCON acquired the debt in 2011, which led to unsolicited loan disbursement that further plunged Zenon into indebtedness.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending