Connect with us

News

We’ve taken steps to check insecurity on highways – I-G

Published

on

Kayode Egbetokun

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Fellow Press

(Photo: L-R CP Idowu Owohunwa of Lagos Command, DIG Abiodun Alabi, Mrs Joe Okei-Odumakin, Acting I-G Kayode Egbetokun, and Mr Olumide Akpata during Complainants Response Unit inauguration at Lagos State Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja, on Wednesday)

The Acting Inspector-General of Police, Mr Kayode Egbetokun, says the force has taken steps to check insecurity on highways, particularly Abuja-Kaduna Highway.

Egbetokun disclosed this during his first official to Lagos State Police Command on Wednesday where he inaugurated some projects, including Complainants Response Unit (CRU).

“Since I came into office, we have taken steps to do a number of things to ensure crime is reduced to the barest minimum and security restored to troubled areas.

” On the Abuja-Kaduna Road you are talking about, we have taken necessary steps to rid it of criminal elements that were terrorising motorists.

” Very soon, you are going to be seeing results. We are embarking on establishment of a Special Intervention Squad (SIS). We have started mobilisation to make success of it,” he said.

Egbetokun said the SIS would soon become operational in the states that had been chosen as pilot areas.

On police welfare, he said he had President Bola Tinubu’s assurance that efforts were underway to improve the welfare of police officers and men.

On when the police would have a vibrant forensic department to detect criminals, Egbetokun said: “We are going to take these things one after the other.

“Today, we have launched the CRU aimed at promoting transparency in the police.

“We want to build confidence in the members of the public. We want to enhance police/ community collaboration, and the CRU is needed to achieve all of these.

“At least, now, members of the public who have complaints against the police have a place to lodge their complaints.”

Egbetokun assured Nigerians that the force would make the CRU functional in all the states of the federation.

“Lagos State has started. We just inaugurated that one today. We inspected the facilities and they are excellent.

“Officers that would be deployed to man the CRU will be carefully selected – officers with impeccable integrity.

“They will be well motivated, with opportunities for training overseas, if necessary,” he said.

At the event, Mr Femi Falana (SAN) warned the officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force against torture and illegal detention of suspects.

Falana said that under the Police Act, 2020, the officers and men would be held responsible and prosecuted for illegal detention.

Falana, however, assured the officers and men of free legal services should they have need of it.

He promised to build CRU in four states.

A former President of the Nigeria Bar Association and one of those that built the CRU in Lagos, Mr Olumide Akpata, promised to do same in Edo and Delta states.

He expressed optimism that the unit would enhance better relationship between the police and the public.

News

Accept FG offer above N60,000 as new minimum wage, Opeyemi Bamidele to labour

Published

on

The Senate Leader, Senator Opeyemi Bamidele, APC, Ekiti Central has pleaded with the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC and the Trade Union Congress, TUC
to accept whatever the federal government offered them above N60,000 as the new minimum wage.

Bamidele urged the NLC and TUC to toe the path of dialogue and peace in the negotiation of a new minimum wage, which the President had promised to send a bill to the National Assembly for this purpose.

The Senate Leader has reiterated the need for Nigerians to demonstrate more patriotic spirit and oneness in their daily activities as the nation journeys through its socio-political trajectory towards the promised land.

He made the call in an Eid-el-Kabir message by his Directorate of Media and Public Affairs on Sunday, just as he highlighted some achievements of the administration of President BolaTinubu.

Bamidele said, “The federal government has conceded to N60,000, which translates to a 100 percent increase. But both NLC and TUC turned down this offer, leading to a two-day industrial action.

“The federal government has promised to make more concessions in this respect. As the federal government reveals its new offer, I plead with the organised labour to accept it in the national interest. The economy will remain in this condition. Collectively, we are taking multi-pronged measures to reverse disturbing economic indicators.”has conceded to N60,000, which translates to a 100 percent increase. But both NLC and TUC turned down this offer, leading to a two-day industrial action.

“The federal government has promised to make more concessions in this respect. As the federal government reveals its new offer, I plead with the organised labour to accept it in the national interest. The economy will remain in this condition. Collectively, we are taking multi-pronged measures to reverse disturbing economic indicators.”

While identifying with all Muslim faithful nationwide, Bamidele who noted that Nigerians, regardless of religion and tribes, should team up with and rally support for the Tinubu administration to safely steer the ship of the nation into a successful end, emphasised that no nation could travel the journey of national rebirth alone without the unwavering support of its citizens not minding their political, cultural and social backgrounds and orientations.

He assured that the current administration would leave no stone unturned in alleviating the economic hardship being faced by the majority of Nigerians and re-offer them a sense of pride in their home country.

In the spirit of the season, the Senate Leader urged all Muslims to emulate love and good neighbourliness exemplified by Prophet Mohammed (SWAT) during his time and how he related very well with people of other faiths and nationalities.

Bamidele who appealed that the ongoing reengineering efforts of the Tinubu Administration could only yield democratic dividends in an atmosphere devoid of insecurity, but where lives and property are protected, said: “Just to mention a few among ongoing projects like the 700 kilometres Lagos-Calabar Coastal Highway, the establishment of N50 Billion Pulako Initiative and annual recruitment of 30,000 new police personnel are Key Performance Indicators of this government.

“Only recently, this government declared a state of emergency in agriculture and launched the National Agricultural Development Fund with N100 billion, in addition to the Dry Season Farming Initiative and the Green Imperative Programme to ensure food security across the land.

“All these and other components of the 8-point Renewed Hope Agenda require the patriotic support and prayers for their deliverables to multiply at the doorsteps of Nigerians in the remaining three years of the first term of this government.”

He further urged the Muslim faithful to use the season of Eid el-Kabir to pray for the leaders of the country for divine wisdom and understanding that can match the enormous tasks of leading the country especially at a time when economic realities are not favourable around the world.

Continue Reading

Breaking News

FG updates on UAE lifting visa ban on Nigeria

Published

on

The Minister of Aviation, Festus Keyamo, has revealed that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government will soon announce the date for lifting the visa ban that has been imposed on Nigerian travellers.

This information was shared during an interview with Otega Ogra, Senior Special Assistant to President Bola Tinubu, which is available on the official YouTube page of the State House of Nigeria.

Keyamo acknowledged that while a resolution was reached between President Bola Tinubu and UAE President Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan during President Tinubu’s working visit to the UAE in September 2023, additional processes were required before the ban could be officially lifted.

He said the processes have now been completed, paving the way for the imminent announcement from the UAE government.

“After that high-level meeting, Mr. President, credited to him, made things very easy for us all. We did our follow-ups as his ministers. We have done everything. We have resolved everything.

“Just wait for the announcement from the UAE government, and that announcement is imminent,” Keyamo stated.

The Minister further mentioned that he is aware of the specific date when the travel restriction will be lifted, but he emphasized that it is up to the UAE government to make the official announcement.

The lifting of the ban is expected to restore ease of travel for Nigerian citizens to the UAE, thereby enhancing bilateral relations and cooperation between the two countries.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending