Connect with us

News

Lagos State Govt takes over medical care of 13-year-old boy with ”missing intestine”

Published

on

Lagos State Govt takes over medical care of 13-year-old boy with ”missing intestine”

The Lagos State Government has taken over the medical care of Adebola Akin-Bright, a 13-year-old boy, whose small part of his intestines was allegedly missing at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja.

Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos made this know known when he visited Akin-Bright and his mother, Mrs Deborah Abiodun, at the Pediatric Ward of LASUTH.
NAN reports that Abiodun, had in a “Save Our Souls” (SoS) via social media appealed to the Governor to probe the mysterious disappearance of her son’s intestine.
She claimed the incident occurred while her son was receiving treatment at LASUTH.

LASUTH management had in swift response to the allegations, affirmed that they did not wilfully remove any organ or structure from Akin-Bright’s body while performing a corrective surgery on him.

The victim had been previously operated on at a private hospital in Lagos. He had been undergoing treatment at LASUTH for over a month.

”He (Akin-Bright) required extensive optimisation in our facility before a corrective surgery could be carried out. At the surgery, which was carried out by an experienced pediatric surgeon and her team revealed certain strange findings.

”There is a video clip of these findings. The mother was informed about these findings but she appeared to be in denial,” LASUTH management said.

The governor after listening to both the mother of the child and the doctor in charge of his care said what was paramount was to ensure that the life of the boy was saved.

Responding, Akin-Bright’s mother expressed appreciation to Sanwo-Olu for the visit and for taking up the medical care of the promising young boy.

Advertisement

News

Hardship: Protesters Defy Police Warning, Hit Lagos Streets

Published

on

Residents have hit the streets of Lagos State to protest against the increasing spike in the price of food and the high cost of living in the country.

The protest was facilitated by a human rights group identified as the “Take It Back Movement.”

This comes against the warning issued by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Adegoke Fayoade, on Sunday.

The protesters were seen carrying placards of various inscriptions at Ojuelegba Under Bridge area of the state to express their grievances.

Continue Reading

Headline

CBN Lifts Ban On BDCs, Introduces New Operational Mechanism

Published

on

In a major development aimed at financial stability and strengthening the naira, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) plans to resume its weekly intervention in the country’s foreign exchange (FX) market through the Bureau de Change (BDC) operators.

In 2021, the central bank, in a bid to achieve its mandate of safeguarding the value of the local currency, ensuring financial system stability, and shoring up external reserves, announced the immediate discontinuance of foreign currency sales to Bureau de Change (BDC) operators in the country.

However, the resumed intervention, which would reportedly commence today for funding as well as Tuesday for collection, will see the apex bank inject FX into the subsector in a bid to rescue the naira from further depreciation against major currencies, particularly the US Dollar. The collection will be at designated CBN branches in Lagos, Abuja, Kano, and Awka, while details of the naira accounts to be credited for funding bidding will also be made available today.

CBN is also expected to publish the list of eligible BDCs to benefit from its funding using certain compliance criteria.National Executive Council of Association of Bureau De Change Operators of Nigeria (ABCON) hinted on the latest developments through a memo to its members over the weekend.

The association also warned members that it will no longer be business as usual under the new supervisory regime of the central bank, as any infringement or infraction would result in outright revocation of license and prosecution.

ABCON said through the association’s various engagements with the central bank, in conjunction with ABCON’s strategic partners, CBN had agreed to its request, under the bank’s supervision, to inject liquidity into the market through a weekly intervention beginning today.

CBN assured ABCON that the new circular on the Revised Regulatory and Supervisory Guidelines to BDCs, which was introduced over the weekend, was only a draft exposure that required the association’s inputs before the release of the final guidelines by the apex bank.

To that effect, the letters of the guidelines were not cast in stone, the association’s leadership told its members, who had been worried over the sweeping reforms in the document, which, among other things, prescribed N2 billion and N500 million minimum capital for national and state BDCs, respectively.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending