Connect with us

Headline

Tinubu prioritises youths in first 100 days in office – APC-US Leader

Published

on

Bola Tinubu

 

Mr Oyakhilome Bello, the All Progressives Congress (APC) USA National Youth Leader, has commended President Bola Tinubu for giving Nigerian youths priority in his first 100 days in office.

He said this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday in Abuja while speaking on Tinubu’s first 100 days in office and youth development in the country.

He noted that Tinubu’s administration has so far focused on inclusivity, empowerment and a forward looking approach to ensure that Nigerian youths were well equipped to lead the nation into a prosperous future.

“From employment creation, skills development, education to digital innovation, financial technology and youth participation in governance.

“Since he took oath of office on May 29 and assumed office, Tinubu has shown that he is a president that is set to give priority to youth development,” the APC-US national youth leader said.

He added that Tinubu did not only ensured the inclusion of youths in his cabinet as Ministers and Special Assistants, but also introduced the Youth Empowerment Scheme (NYES).

This, he said, was aimed at providing vocational training, funding and mentorship for aspiring youth entrepreneurs in the country.

“In his bid to reform the education sector, Tinubu announced a nationwide school rehabilitation programme, focusing on schools in dilapidated conditions and enhancing infrastructure, particularly in underprivileged regions.

“Within the period under review, he launched a digital literacy drive to ensure that secondary school students were introduced to basic computer skills and online resources.

“He also updated school curriculum to emphasise on critical thinking, entrepreneurial skills and civic education. Scholarship programmes were also initiated for deserving students to study both in Nigeria and abroad,” Bello said.

 

He further noted that the administration launched a digital hub to empower one million youths across the country with digital and related skills in line with the administration’s commitment to providing more digital jobs for Nigerian youths.

“The object is to promote entrepreneurship, skills development and the integration of young employees in the workforce.

“The initiative is aimed at getting one million youths employed in the digital economy who can directly add value to the country’s economy.

“As youths, what else do we want from a government that has so prioritised issues that concerns youths,” Bello said.

He added that besides the expansion of NYSC to include opportunities in emerging sectors like renewable energy, digital marketing and agri-tech, the administration had put in place policies to promote and fund startups, especially those led by young Nigerians.

Bello, while reacting to the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) warning strike over the removal of fuel subsidy, said calling for strike at this point in time, was not a solution to the country’s challenges.

He added that what was needed was the support, patience and collaborative effort of all stakeholders to enable the government fix the country.

While noting that the removal of fuel subsidy caused some hardship on the people, however said the decision was in the best interest of Nigerains.

He added that while Nigerains had high expectations on the government, they should cooperate with it to enable it work things out.

“This government is on the right path and it is making the right decisions that will give us progress, prosperity and a new Nigeria that we all had hoped for,” he said.

Bello therefore called on Nigerian youths especially to be patient with the Federal Government, adding that Tinubu had started on a good footing, particularly with regards to youth development and employment.

He said all the government needed was time and patience from Nigerians to work things out in the interest of all.

Headline

Unknown Gunmen Abduct Channelstv Reporter In Port-harcourt

Published

on

 

Some unknown gunmen have kidnapped Joshua Rogers, the ChannelsTV reporter in Port-Harcourt, the Rivers State capital.

Politics Nigeria learnt that Rogers was picked up close to his residence at Rumuosi in Port Harcourt and to an unknown destination by the gunmen around 9pm on Thursday, April 11.

The reporter was driving his official ChannelsTV branded car when the hoodlums accosted, pointed a gun at him and took him away in the same vehicle.

 

Rogers was said to be returning from his official assignment in Government House after a trip to Andoni for a government event when the incident happened.

Already, the gunmen were said to have contacted his wife and demanded a N30million ransom for bis release.

His cameraman confirmed the incident and appealed to his abductors to set him free unconditionally.

Continue Reading

Headline

Lassa Fever Kills 150 In Nigeria — NCDC

Published

on

 

According to the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC), 150 people died from Lassa virus in 125 local government areas throughout 27 states in the federation between January and March 2024.

The NCDC reported that the deaths were recorded with a case fatality rate (CFR) of 18.6% overall from week one to week thirteen, 2024. This is higher than the CFR for the same time in 2023 (17.5%).

In its Lassa Fever Situation Report Epi Week 13, which was released on March 25–31, 2024, the agency revealed that 806 of the 5,295 suspected cases that were recorded were confirmed. Eyes Of Lagos reports,

According to the report, in week 13, the number of new confirmed cases decreased from 25 in Epi week 12, 2024 to 15. These cases were reported in Ondo, Bauchi, Plateau and Edo states.

 

In total for 2024, 27 states have recorded at least one confirmed case across 125 LGAs, even as 62 percent of all confirmed Lassa fever cases were reported from Ondo, Edo, and Bauchi states, while 38 percent of cases were reported from 24 states with confirmed Lassa fever cases.

Of the 62 percent confirmed cases, the NCDC said Ondo reported 24 percent, Edo 22 percent, and Bauchi 16 percent. The predominant age group affected is 31-40 years (Range: 1 to 98 years, Median Age: 32years), with a male-to-female ratio for confirmed cases of 1:1.

From the report, the number of suspected cases (5,295) increased compared to that reported for the same period in 2023 (4,338).

The agency confirmed that the National Lassa fever multi-partner, multi-sectoral Incident Management System has been activated to coordinate response at all levels at the Emergency Operations Centre, EOC.

No new healthcare worker was affected in the reporting week 13, the report noted.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending