Connect with us

Headline

We’re making efforts to rescue kidnapped corps members – NYSC DG

Published

on

Brig.-Gen. Yush’au Ahmed, the Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) says efforts are ongoing to secure the release of the reaming five prospective corps members abducted in Zamfara.

 

Ahmed made this known at an interactive session with the House of Representatives Committee on Youth Development on Thursday in Abuja.

 

He explained that of the eight prospective corps members abducted in August 2023 on their way to the orientation camp in Sokoto state, three had been released.

The DG said that all relevant security agencies are working in synergy with the traditional and religious leaders to secure the release of the five.

“We are making efforts to see that we get the children out of captivity. From all the signs we are receiving, we are hopeful we will get them as soon as possible,” he said.

Ahmed said that the released corps members had been redeployed to the FCT and given proper medical attention.

The DG advised against traveling at night saying that it is against the safety tips given to all corps and prospective members.

He urged strict adherence to all the safety tips issued by the scheme to prevent future occurrences.

Earlier, the Chairman of the House Committee on Youth Development, Rep. Martins Esin said that the house is worried about the situation of the corps members.

He said that the interactive session was organised to get first hand information on the situation of the prospective corps members in captivity.

“I am happy, we are happy with the work so far done on the release of those still in captivity, I like the engagements with sister agencies to secure them.

“Based on the interaction we have had, I am certain in my spirit that these prospective corps members will be reunited with their families.

“We are calling on all stakeholders to support the NYSC ensure the security of lives and property of corps members.

“Continue to be on the top of the situation but if we noticed a derail, we will be the first to raise the red flag,” he said.

The lawmaker urged the management of the scheme to proactively come up with rehabilitation programme to take care of trauma that they may have suffered when released.

He said that such programmes will support the victims to be properly reintegrated into the society.

Esin said that there is a need to strengthen the travel advice mechanism to enhance compliance.

“Before your camp, do your combing and raise flags so that corps members can know how to navigate going forward so these things do not happen again.

“We will give you the backing legislative wise to get this scheme forward, this is the best time to do so as we have a President that is a lover of youths and demonstrated in his appointments,” he said.

The chairman pledged that the committee will reconsider the bill on NYSC Trust Fund and apply the necessary motion to have it passed into law.

The committee resolved that the management of NYSC should visit the families of the victims and brief them on the efforts so far made.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

Headline

Real Madrid’s goalkeeper shares recovery insights after two injuries

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has opened up about his recovery journey following two serious knee injuries.

 

Courtois said, “In August, I cried because the worst thing that can happen to you in football is a cruciate ligament injury. When I returned home, I said that I was going to work hard and come back stronger. That was my idea from the beginning: to stay positive, fight, never give up, and push my limits.

 

“Many thought my season was over, but I knew it wasn’t,” Courtois told Marca.

Recall that for most of the current season, Courtois missed out due to two injuries: a cruciate ligament tear and a meniscus injury. In his absence, first-choice goalkeeper was Chelsea’s loanee Kepa Arrizabalaga, and later, he faced competition from Andriy Lunin.

Upon his return, Courtois played in 3 La Liga matches, keeping clean sheets in all of them. In the last game against Alaves, the Belgian made 10 saves.

Earlier, it was reported that Courtois’ recovery from injury will be featured in a documentary series.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending