Connect with us

Headline

Gov Sule approves renovation of NUJ Press Centre

Published

on

Abdullahi Sule

Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State has approved the renovation of the Secretariat of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) in the state.

 

Mr Ibrahim Agbolo, Commissioner for Information, Culture and Tourism, made the disclosure during a courtesy call at the NUJ press centre on Tuesday in Lafia.

 

According to the commissioner the governor is undertaking the project because of the critical role members of the union are playing towards propagating the policies and programmes of the state government to the outside world.

“The renovation will cover total upgrading of the structure and installation of the state of the art facilities to make it a modern building,” he added.

On the essence of the visit, Mr Agbolo said it was aimed at familiarising with the leadership of the union and other critical stakeholders in the information sector with a view to strengthen the existing partnership.

“This is my first official assignment outside the ministry and I have decided to start with the union because of how important journalists are to us.

“We are going to work with you and other critical stakeholders to propagate the things that the state government has been doing across the state.

“You know, Gov. Abdullahi Sule has done a lot and is still doing much in different sectors of the economy to better the lives of the citizens,” the commissioner added.

Agbolo further said that the governor had invested a lot in security, infrastructure, agriculture, education, youths and women empowerment, and human capital development, among others.

Responding, Mr Salihu Mohammed-Alkali, the NUJ Chairman, commended the commissioner and his team for the visit and recognition.

The NUJ chairman said the gesture by the governor to remodel and upgrade the press centre would never be forgotten by the entirety of journalists in the state.

Mohammed-Alkali, however, assured the commissioner that journalists in the state would continue to do their work professionally devoid of sentiment.

“NUJ and by extension, all journalists will collaborate with the state government and other stakeholders to propagate its activities with a view of making the state better,” the chairman added.

The Commissioner was accompanied at visit by Mr Yusuf Musa, Permanent Secretary of the ministry and other directors.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

Headline

Real Madrid’s goalkeeper shares recovery insights after two injuries

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has opened up about his recovery journey following two serious knee injuries.

 

Courtois said, “In August, I cried because the worst thing that can happen to you in football is a cruciate ligament injury. When I returned home, I said that I was going to work hard and come back stronger. That was my idea from the beginning: to stay positive, fight, never give up, and push my limits.

 

“Many thought my season was over, but I knew it wasn’t,” Courtois told Marca.

Recall that for most of the current season, Courtois missed out due to two injuries: a cruciate ligament tear and a meniscus injury. In his absence, first-choice goalkeeper was Chelsea’s loanee Kepa Arrizabalaga, and later, he faced competition from Andriy Lunin.

Upon his return, Courtois played in 3 La Liga matches, keeping clean sheets in all of them. In the last game against Alaves, the Belgian made 10 saves.

Earlier, it was reported that Courtois’ recovery from injury will be featured in a documentary series.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending