Connect with us

News

Film factory: Gov. AbdulRazaq vows to deepen creative industry

Published

on

AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq

Gov. AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq of Kwara has vowed to deepen the state’s creative industry in order to expand its economic base.

 

AbdulRazaq made the vow in Ilorin on Wednesday during his visit to the trendy Sugar Film Factory.

 

The governor described the sugar film factory as one of his administration’s iconic projects targeted at refocusing the state’s economy for job creation, youth empowerment, and improved standard of living.

He said it was designed to make Kwara a hub in the last-mile movie production and creative industry in West Africa.

According to him, the facility earns its name from the nostalgic Tate and Lyle Sugar Factory which collapsed in the 1990s, in what underscored the governor’s rich sense of history.

The governor said that the project was one of those being funded from the bond the state accessed in 2021.

He noted that contents from Nollywood are increasingly dominating the world, saying that efforts must be geared towards improving production quality for them to compete with Hollywood and Bollywood.

“Our huge investment in the creative industry is to expand the economic base of the state and deepen the creative industry.

“Everyone sees our state as a civil service state. We want to change that perception. We want to make this state a destination for high-quality movie production.

“It is about thinking outside the box. It is important for Nollywood to move from what some may call videos to cinematography.

“We have very rich contents but we need to invest in the quality of our production. Our facility offers this.

“Gradually, we are getting there. You’ve seen our films on Netflix and other global platforms but we want more of our films there. What India has done is to improve the quality of films, that’s what we want to offer here in Kwara,” the governor said.

AbdulRazaq echoed the need to expand the quality of Nigerian movies to feature more on the international scene.
He expressed satisfaction at the progress of work done, hoping that the contractor would deliver it for operation in the next few months.

The governor said more equipment are coming in and assured that film production would soon commence in the state.

The sugar film factory is carefully linked with the visual arts centre whose components include a Dolby-fitted studio.

It is indicative of an emerging local economy built around creative industry, innovation and enterprise dominated by young people.

Gov. AbdulRazaq was conducted round the facility by the Project Manager, Mr Kamaldeen Abolarin.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

News

Junior Pope betrayed me repeatedly – Yul Edochie

Published

on

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has claimed that his late colleague, Junior Pope, betrayed him repeatedly despite his being there for him in his times of need.

 

According to Edochie, it was the reason he shunned the late actor’s burial in Enugu State on Friday.

 

He said he wanted to wait till after Junior Pope’s burial before he reveal how the late actor betrayed him.

He promised the full story of how Junior Pope betrayed him soon.

On his Instagram story, Edochie wrote: “I didn’t want to say anything till after his burial. I know many asked why I wasn’t there. Why I haven’t said anything about it since.

“I took him like a brother & good friend. I was there for him when he needed me. But he stabbed me in the back repeatedly. That’s life!

“I’ll drop the full details soon so others can learn from it.

“Be careful what you wish people, it could come to you.”

Recall that Junior Pope died on April 10, 2024, alongside three others after their boat capsized on the Anam River in Anambra State while returning from a film location.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending