Connect with us

Headline

Insecurity: FRSC seeks FG’s permission to bear firearms

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says there is the need for its personnel to bear firearms in discharging their duties, considering the level of security challenges across the country.

 

The Corps Marshal, Mr Dauda Biu, made this known on Saturday, while inaugurating 1,762 personnel of the corps who just concluded their four month basic course at the Nigerian Army Training Centre (NATRAC), Kontagora, Niger.

 

Biu, who was represented by Shehu Zaki, a Deputy Corps Marshal, said that the measure would ensure adequate protection for the personnel who were often attacked in the course of duty by some road users or suspected criminals who take advantage of the security challenges in the country.

“It is left to the political leaders to arm the FRSC, but what we do know is that the issue of the FRSC bearing arms has been on our status since 1992.

“What we are still waiting for is for us to be given the go ahead to start using arms.

“Right now, looking at the level of insecurity in the country, it is not out of place for the FRSC to start using arms to enable us protect ourselves when the need arise,” Biu said.

He, however, urged the cadets officers, cadet marshal assistants and road marshal assistants to be dedicated to their duties towards bringing glory to the corps and the nation.

The corps marshal urged the personnel to be patriotic and exhibit the highest level of discipline, honour, integrity, accountability, transparency, courtesy, confidentiality, decency, loyalty and team spirit in discharging their duties to ensure success.

Biu said, “As we tackle the challenges of nation building and sustainable development in a complex operational environment, where you will soon face reality.

“It has therefore become imperative that, I sound a very strong caution which is aimed at protecting and preserving your lives in the cause of discharging your duties objectively.

“You must constantly abide by the regulations which guide the work ethics as you carry out your constitutional roles.

“Without this, you will be doing a lot of damage to yourself, the corps and the nation as a whole.*

He thanked the Chief of Army Staff, Lt..-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja for approving the use of the training facility and also commended the army trainers for their contribution in ensuring a successful exercise.

Earlier, Mr Yakubu Muhammad, Camp Commander said that among the commissioned personnel were 204 cadet Officers, 402 cadet marshal inspectors and 1,156 road marshal assistants.

Muhammad said that during the four-month training, the cadets and other trainees were trained in road safety management, physical drill and regimental ethics.

He also said that the corps recently introduced martial arts into the training to enable its personnel defend themselves in the course of duty when the need arose.

“This because we have not been authorised to carry firearms, so we should be able to defend ourselves when the need arise,” Muhammad said.

Also Cadet Chime Martin, General Parade Commander, who spoke on behalf of the commissioned cadets and others, promised to utilise the knowledge acquired to create a safe motoring environment in the country.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

Headline

Real Madrid’s goalkeeper shares recovery insights after two injuries

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has opened up about his recovery journey following two serious knee injuries.

 

Courtois said, “In August, I cried because the worst thing that can happen to you in football is a cruciate ligament injury. When I returned home, I said that I was going to work hard and come back stronger. That was my idea from the beginning: to stay positive, fight, never give up, and push my limits.

 

“Many thought my season was over, but I knew it wasn’t,” Courtois told Marca.

Recall that for most of the current season, Courtois missed out due to two injuries: a cruciate ligament tear and a meniscus injury. In his absence, first-choice goalkeeper was Chelsea’s loanee Kepa Arrizabalaga, and later, he faced competition from Andriy Lunin.

Upon his return, Courtois played in 3 La Liga matches, keeping clean sheets in all of them. In the last game against Alaves, the Belgian made 10 saves.

Earlier, it was reported that Courtois’ recovery from injury will be featured in a documentary series.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending