Connect with us

Headline

We Paid N250m To Free 121 Abducted Baptist Students – CAN

Published

on

The chairman of the Kaduna State chapter of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Rev. John Joseph Hayab, has disclosed that a ransom of N250 million was paid to secure the release of 121 students of Bethel Baptist High School in Kaduna who were kidnapped by bandits in July 2021.

 

Rev. Hayab made this revelation during a courtesy visit to Governor Uba Sani in Kaduna. He also clarified that Treasure Ayuba, the last Bethel student who escaped from captivity about a week ago, did not willingly choose to remain with the kidnappers, as claimed in some quarters.

 

The CAN chairman stated that efforts were made to secure Treasure’s release, including sending ransom money to the kidnappers on two occasions, adding that the total sum paid to finally secure their release amounted to N250 million.

“Today, we gather here with mixed feelings—relief, joy, and gratitude. We are here to welcome back Treasure Ayuba, the last of the students of Bethel Baptist High School, Kaduna, who [were] marched out while in their sleep in the school hostel and kidnapped on the night of July 5, 2021, by bandits,” Rev. Hayab stated.

He explained the challenges faced by Treasure’s family, relatives, and well-wishers in securing his release and the subsequent abductions that occurred when ransom money was delivered.

Reacting, Governor Uba Sani assured Treasure Ayuba of the state government’s support and revealed that measures are being taken to enhance the safety of students in schools across the state.

Uba Sani said the establishment of security committees in schools, the deployment of the Kaduna Vigilance Service (KADVIS), and the securing of school premises by building fences are some of the steps to ensure the safety of students and improve the learning environment.

“We have taken steps to safeguard our schools and ensure that our schoolchildren have their education in a conducive atmosphere. We will set up security committees in all schools, ensure the deployment of KADVIS (Kaduna Vigilance Service) to all our schools, and secure our schools by building fences around the school, among other measures,” he said.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

Headline

Real Madrid’s goalkeeper shares recovery insights after two injuries

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has opened up about his recovery journey following two serious knee injuries.

 

Courtois said, “In August, I cried because the worst thing that can happen to you in football is a cruciate ligament injury. When I returned home, I said that I was going to work hard and come back stronger. That was my idea from the beginning: to stay positive, fight, never give up, and push my limits.

 

“Many thought my season was over, but I knew it wasn’t,” Courtois told Marca.

Recall that for most of the current season, Courtois missed out due to two injuries: a cruciate ligament tear and a meniscus injury. In his absence, first-choice goalkeeper was Chelsea’s loanee Kepa Arrizabalaga, and later, he faced competition from Andriy Lunin.

Upon his return, Courtois played in 3 La Liga matches, keeping clean sheets in all of them. In the last game against Alaves, the Belgian made 10 saves.

Earlier, it was reported that Courtois’ recovery from injury will be featured in a documentary series.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending