Connect with us

News

NLC Gives Six Conditions To Call Off Strike

Published

on

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has listed six conditions that must be met for it to call off their ongoing indefinite strike.

 

It listed the six conditions in a series of posts via its official X handle (formerly known as Twitter).

 

The NLC said, first, Chinasa Nwaneri, A Special Adviser to the Imo Governor on Special Duties who allegedly led the attack on NLC President Joe Ajaero and other workers in the State must be arrested and prosecuted.

The union also said all police officers as well as thugs involved in the attack on the labour leader should be arrested, prosecuted and dismissed.

It also demanded the arrest, prosecution and dismissal of the Chief Security Officer in Imo State Government House simply identified as SP Shaba.

“He led, participated and provided cover for thugs to brutalise workers in Imo State,” the NLC alleged.

Another condition given by the labour union was the arrest, persecution and dismissal of an unnamed police area commander who it said supervised the brutalisation of the NLC president and other workers in the state.

The sixth condition for peace was that the former Commissioner of Police in Imo State, Ahmed Barde, must be investigated and prosecuted for his alleged involvement in the assault of the NLC chief.

“Our demands are simple. We want justice,” the group wrote in the X post.

On its website, the union in a post titled: “This strike is a protest against the emerging culture of state violence and impunity” demanded that the administration of President Bola Tinubu should nip in the bud the burgeoning culture of harassment, intimidation, violence and terror.

It said: “We would want Nigerians to not lend themselves to the “private matter” narrative being promoted by agents of government as it is intended to divert attention from the real issues.

“Even as no freedom can be greater than the personal liberty of an individual in a popular democracy, which was violently and viciously violated in Imo, what the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress of Nigeria are fighting through this strike action are serial acts of violence/assault and impunity committed against individuals and organisations by the Nigeria Police Force or under their watchful eye or supervision.

“We make haste to cite three instances here even as there are several others within the brief life of this government.”

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

News

Junior Pope betrayed me repeatedly – Yul Edochie

Published

on

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has claimed that his late colleague, Junior Pope, betrayed him repeatedly despite his being there for him in his times of need.

 

According to Edochie, it was the reason he shunned the late actor’s burial in Enugu State on Friday.

 

He said he wanted to wait till after Junior Pope’s burial before he reveal how the late actor betrayed him.

He promised the full story of how Junior Pope betrayed him soon.

On his Instagram story, Edochie wrote: “I didn’t want to say anything till after his burial. I know many asked why I wasn’t there. Why I haven’t said anything about it since.

“I took him like a brother & good friend. I was there for him when he needed me. But he stabbed me in the back repeatedly. That’s life!

“I’ll drop the full details soon so others can learn from it.

“Be careful what you wish people, it could come to you.”

Recall that Junior Pope died on April 10, 2024, alongside three others after their boat capsized on the Anam River in Anambra State while returning from a film location.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending