Connect with us

News

Resident doctors issue 14-day ultimatum to Enugu Govt to employ more doctors, ensure security

Published

on

Doctors

The Association of Resident Doctors of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology Teaching Hospital (ESUTH) has issued a 14-day ultimatum to Enugu State Government to employ more doctors and ensure security.

 

This is contained in a communique issued on Saturday after the end of the Emergency General Meeting of the association in ESUT Teaching Hospital, Parklane, Enugu held on Friday, Nov. 17, 2023.

 

The communique was jointly signed by the President of ARD-ESUT, Dr Chukwunonso Ofonere and its Secretary General, Dr Ikemefuna Nnamani.

The statement called on the management of ESUTHTeaching and the Enugu State Government to declare state of emergency on the employment of Doctors in the hospital.

According to the statement, the EGM observed that it is now 120 days since the government through the Secretary to the State Government promised the ARD of employment of Medical Officers and Resident Doctors, and we are yet to see an advert to this effect.

It said that the EGM was intimated of the Management’s proposed plan to ensure the safety of Doctors and other health workers in the hospital.

The statement noted that the EGM had resolved to extend the initial 14 days ultimatum by another 14 days ultimatum which shall end on Dec. 1.

“First, the management should declare state of emergency on the employment of doctors in the hospital. There should be an urgent approval for the recruitment of medical officers, resident doctors and House Officers in the hospital.

“This recruitment should be focused especially at the Accident and Emergency Department, Surgery Department, Internal Medicine Department, Paediatrics Department, Obstetrics and Gynaecology Departments,”.

It noted that resident doctors that had left the institution in the past four years were never replaced.

“Secondly, management should ensure implementation of safety policies to protect her workers against physical attacks and kidnap within one week as promised by the Chief Medical Director (CMD).

“Thirdly, the immediate implementation of the 2023 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF) as our counterpart in other states; even as attached to this communique is the list of the eligible doctors and the financial implications,” it said.

The statement noted that the EGM resolved that after 14 days and the above demands were not met, industrial harmony could not be guaranteed.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

News

Junior Pope betrayed me repeatedly – Yul Edochie

Published

on

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has claimed that his late colleague, Junior Pope, betrayed him repeatedly despite his being there for him in his times of need.

 

According to Edochie, it was the reason he shunned the late actor’s burial in Enugu State on Friday.

 

He said he wanted to wait till after Junior Pope’s burial before he reveal how the late actor betrayed him.

He promised the full story of how Junior Pope betrayed him soon.

On his Instagram story, Edochie wrote: “I didn’t want to say anything till after his burial. I know many asked why I wasn’t there. Why I haven’t said anything about it since.

“I took him like a brother & good friend. I was there for him when he needed me. But he stabbed me in the back repeatedly. That’s life!

“I’ll drop the full details soon so others can learn from it.

“Be careful what you wish people, it could come to you.”

Recall that Junior Pope died on April 10, 2024, alongside three others after their boat capsized on the Anam River in Anambra State while returning from a film location.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending