Connect with us

Uncategorized

GOC commiserates with Borno Govt, Monday Market fire victims

Published

on

 

The General Officer Commanding (GOCZ) 7 Division, Operation Hadin Kai, Maj.-Gen. Waidi Shaibu, has commiserated with the government and people of Borno over Sunday fire incident in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that an early morning fire on Sunday had razed parts of the Maiduguri Monday Market.

Shaibu expressed his concern in a statement issued on Tuesday in Maiduguri by Lt.-Col. AY Jingina, the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 7 Division Nigerian Army.

He commiserated with shop owners and traders who lost their wares and other valuables in the unfortunate incident, and expressed sadness over the development.

He said: “Following the unfortunate inferno and resultant reactions of both traders and residents within the market vicinity, troops of 7 Division have scale up confidence-building patrols.

“This, among other more discreet activities, is to ensure miscreants do not take undue advantage of the situation to perpetrate their nefarious acts, especially as the nation is still in election mood.”

According to him, the troops of 7 Division Garrison and 7 Division Delta Force remained on alert and have sustained robust show of force around the Maiduguri Metropolitan Council.

“This is with a view to allay fears, build the confidence of the citizenry and to also support emergency services and other responders within the ambit of their code of conduct.

The GOC assured residents of Maiduguri that the Nigerian Army remained committed to fostering a secure and peaceful environment, for the ongoing 2023 general election in the state.

“The Nigerian Army is yet committed to supporting the Nigerian Police and other relevant security agencies in nipping any untoward security situation in the bud, in order to forestall the breakdown of law and order.

“Members of the general public are duly commended for their efforts so far in reporting election-related issues through our dedicated hotlines.

 

“This has greatly enhanced our efficiency on the ground. You are please enjoined to sustain this effort by giving us accurate and timely information on any breach of security in your vicinity,” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Court to deliver judgment in suit seeking use of TVCs to vote, March 10

Published

on

 

The Federal High Court, Abuja has fixed March 10 to deliver judgment in a suit filed by two aggrieved Nigerians seeking the use of Temporary Voter Cards, (TVCs) in the general elections in the absence of the Permanent Voter Cards, (PVCs).

Justice Obiora Egwuatu fixed the date on Tuesday after parties adopted their final written addresses and made brief adumbration to convince the court on their positions.

Arguing on behalf of the plaintiffs, Mr Victor Opatola told the court that should the court rule in their favour, the Independent National Electoral Commission, (INEC) needed no special technology to allow people use their TVCs to vote.

He said this was because the content of the TVC was the same as the content of the PVC.

He said the only difference was the plastic used for the PVC adding that the BVAS required only a thumbprint or facial recognition so with the TVC, an eligible voter could also be allowed to vote.

He also said that judging from the just concluded elections where TVCs were used at some polling units, it was clear that the use of TVCs was possible.

Opatola prayed the court to grant the prayers of his client

For his part, counsel to INEC, Mr Abdulaziz Sani urged the court to dismiss the plantiff’s originating summons as an unnecessary suit.

According to Sani, no TVC was used anywhere in Saturday’s election as alleged by the plaintiffs.

The senior lawyer also told the court that all the claims of the plaintiffs had been debunked by facts provided.
He reiterated that the suit should be dismissed as unnecessary.

Having heard all arguments, Justice Egwuatu fixed March 10 to deliver judgment.

The News Agency of Nigeria, (NAN), reports that INEC had repeatedly held that only eligible voters with the PVCs would be allowed to vote in the 2023 presidential, governorship and parliamentary elections.

NAN also reports that the plaintiffs, Kofoworola Olusegun and Wilson Allwell in the suit filed on Feb. 8 and marked FHC/ABJ/CS/180/2023, are asking the court to determine “Whether by the true construction and interpretation of section 10(2), 12(1) and 47 of the Electoral Act 2022; Section 77(2) and 132(5) of the 1999 constitution (as amended), and bearing in mind that the Bimodal Voters Accreditation System (BVAS) machine introduced by INEC only needs the thumbprint and/or facial recognition to accredit a voter;

“Whether a person whose name appears in the electronic format in INEC’s central database and manual, printed paper based record or hard copy format of the register of voters and has been assigned a Voter’s Identification Number (VIN), can be said to be entitled to be accredited to vote with his/her TVC in the general election to be conducted by the defendant.

“Whether such a person can, as a consequence of the defendant’s inabilities, actions and omission be disenfranchised of the right and entitlement to vote in the 2023 general election.

 

The plaintiffs asked the court to grant the following reliefs should the questions be answered in their favour.

“A declaration that the plaintiff, having fulfilled all necessary legal requirements to register and having consequently been captured in it’s central database and manual, printed paper based record or hard copy format of INEC’s maintained register of voters, the plaintiff are entitled to vote using their TVC in the 2023 General Elections.

“An order compelling INEC to allow the plaintiff to vote using the TVC issued by INEC, the plaintiff having been duly captured in the national register of voter’s database.

“Any other order, the court may deem fit for all other Nigerians who are like the plaintiffs and have not gotten their permanent voter’s card, as the court may deem fit.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Flights from Cologne, Dusseldorf airports resume after strikes

Published

on

 

Flights resumed at Cologne-Bonn and Dusseldorf airports on Tuesday after workers returned from 24 hours of industrial action over pay.

At Düsseldorf airport, the strike ended at around 3 a.m. (0200 GMT), said Verdi spokesman Peter Büddicker.

He did not expect any further restrictions for passengers.

At Cologne-Bonn airport, staff resumed work at 6 a.m., according to a spokesperson, who added there could be delays while backlogs cleared.

Almost every flight was cancelled at the airports on Monday, due to the one-day strike called by the Verdi and Komba trade unions.

While 136 departures and arrivals were planned in Cologne-Bonn, only two took place – a flight to and from Vienna.

The airport would otherwise have expected around 15,000 passengers on Monday.

The strikes were part of larger industrial actions amid negotiations for public sector employees at the federal and local levels, as well as the nationwide negotiations for aviation security employees.

 

Unions are demanding 10.5 per cent more income, or at least 500 euros more per month.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending