Connect with us

Headline

Media not seen as adversary to govt., Says Alake

Published

on

Dele Alake

Last Updated on July 29, 2023 by Fellow Press

Minister-designate Dele Alake has said that the Federal Government does not see the mass media as an adversary, but a tool to put the administration on its toes.

Alake, current Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Special Duties, Communications and Strategy, made this known at a meeting with media executives on Friday in Abuja.

This said at the end of the day, both the media and government operate in the same society.

“If we are practising adversary journalism and we create problems in our society, where are we going to practise,” Alake asked.

He said the meeting was to seek the understanding and buying-in of the media to ongoing fundamental policy initiatives of the Tinubu government that were necessary for the country’s development.

He implored the media to practise responsive journalism, saying this was critical to avoid heating up the polity and misleading the public.

“When there is genuine course to criticise the government, do it constructively and also suggest and proffer solutions to issues affecting the country.

“It is important that even when we are angry at what is going on in the country, we should still apply that sense of responsibility in our reportage so that even after venting our anger, we will still have a society to live in to practice our profession and thrive,” he said.

Alake explained that government did not see the media as enemy because of its criticism, saying that criticism was part of democracy.

“Criticism you must do because it is an integral part of democracy; however, what is obnoxious is destructive criticism, you have to engage in constructive criticism.

“When you engage in constructive criticism, the person you are criticising will enjoy that criticism because you will be proffering solutions to challenges at the end of the day.

“The language of criticism should not be repulsive as some of our colleagues do, we can always criticise in decent language and make very good points that the recipient will take you very serious,” he said.

On the removal of fuel subsidy by the Tinubu administration, Alake said without confronting the rot and naughty issues in the petroleum sector, we would just be groping in the dark as a country while feeding a few to the detriment of the larger majority.

According to him, if past administrations had been bold enough to remove subsidy on petroleum products, we would have had enduring structures on ground and would not be where we are today.

Alake said Tinubu came to office to make positive impact and to make a name not to acquire material things which he already had.

“The only thing he is fighting for now is legacy and for it to be said that in his life and in his time as president, Nigeria was strengthened out and put on the part of full recovery,” Alake said.

Also speaking at the event, Mr Bayo Onanuga, Director, Media and Publicity of the defunct All Progressives Congress (APC), Presidential Campaign Council (PCC), called on Nigerians to support the Tinubu administration to enable it to deliver on its campaign promises.

Onanuga, a former Managing Director of the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) also implored the media to try as much as possible to moderate what they pushed out to the public and be mindful of their headlines.

He stressed that the removal of fuel subsidy by the Federal Government was in the general interest of Nigerians, adding that they would get used to it over time.

He called on the media to shift attention to state governments and to interrogate them on how they spent their federal allocations, noting that attention should not just be only on the Federal Government.

“We should support government intervention policies, shift attention to state governments and interrogate them on how they spend their federal allocations and as media gate keepers, we have a lot to do to sanitise this country,“ Onanuga said.

Breaking News

Tinubu increasing poverty instead of reducing it– Labour Party

Published

on

President Tinubu

Last Updated on June 19, 2024 by Fellow Press

The Labour Party has expressed its disappointment over President Bola Tinubu’s statement which it described as making a mockery of Nigerians as poor.

The National Publicity Secretary of the party, Obiora Ifoh, who said this added that the President needed to be reminded that he was elected into office to reduce if not eliminate poverty and not increase it.

He was reacting to President Tinubu’s statement that Nigerians were not the only ones suffering from poverty.

According to him: “We are disappointed but not surprised by the comments made by President Ahmed Bola Tinubu about the excruciating poverty his administration’s policies have unleashed on Nigerians since he took office over a year ago.

“It was to say the least disheartening to hear Mr. President mock his citizens by saying Nigerians are not the only ones facing poverty.

“Assuming but not conceding that what he said is true, Nigerians who are at the receiving end of his harsh economic policies don’t need to be reminded about the pain and hunger they have been forced to live with by the very people who put them in that situation in the first place.

“May be this administration needs to be reminded that it was elected to reduce if not eliminate poverty, hunger and disease but what we have seen is an obsession with opulence.

“We are yet to get over the billions appropriated for the renovation of the President and Vice President’s lodges, now we hear they want new jets to join the Presidential fleet.”

He said the nation’s schools and health institutions were on their knees and the same government claims it cannot afford to pay public servants a living wage but has enough to make itself comfortable at the expense of the suffering masses.

He implored the President to uphold the constitution he swore to protect, adding that the constitution says the security and welfare of the populace shall be the primary purpose of the existence of the government.

Continue Reading

Headline

Gunmen kill three while enforcing sit-at-home in Anambra communities

Published

on

Last Updated on June 19, 2024 by Fellow Press

Some gunmen, who were enforcing sit-at-home, have reportedly killed many people and injured others in two Anambra communities.

The gunmen invaded Nnewichi community in Nnewi north LGA and Nnobi community in Idemili south LGA, on Monday morning.

At Nnewichi community, the gunmen were said to have invaded a hotel after discovering that some persons were having a meeting there. The gunmen started shooting sporadically at the hotel premises, while destroying properties.

The assailants were said to have killed Oseloka Ubajiekwe, head of the vigilante group and chief security officer of the community, while he was attempting to wade off the attackers.
Those who sustained injuries have been taken to various hospitals in the state. At Nnobi community, the gunmen shot sporadically to scare away residents and engaged in gun duels with security operatives.

Confirming the attacks in a statement, Tochukwu Ikenga, Anambra police spokesperson, said only three persons, including a 22-year-old lady, have been confirmed dead.

“The commissioner of police, CP Nnaghe Obono Itam, has ordered an immediate manhunt operation on the armed men operating in a red Highlander jeep, who abducted a citizen in Nnewi by 1:30 pm yesterday 17/6/2024 and were trailed to Nnobi, where they engaged security operatives in a gun battle,” Ikenga said.

During the gun duel, one of the security operatives was fatally hit by the bullet and due to the indiscriminate shootings by the hoodlums in an attempt to escape the scene, the bullet also fatally struck two innocent passersby in the area.

“The police responding team at the scene recovered the bodies of the victims and took them to the hospital but regrettably, three of the victims including a 22-year-old lady were confirmed dead by the doctors on duty while two others are currently receiving treatment.”

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending