Connect with us

News

Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Fire Razes 11 Vehicles

Published

on

An explosion from two tankers loaded with petroleum products rocked the Sari Iganmu area of Lagos, Thursday night, destroying nine vehicles in the resultant inferno. The raging fire sent fear into residents of Moshood Abiola Way, opposite Fashola estate and Ijora, over possible escalation due to spillage of the combustive content.

 

However, no casualty was recorded according to the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, contrary to rumour that several persons were burnt to death. There were however different versions as to how the incident happened. An account said one of the trucks was stationed without a caution to alert oncoming vehicles. Driver of another truck collided with the parked truck and the impact of the collision ignited balls of fire.

 

Another account said a truck loaded with combustive substance was rolling back when an oncoming one loaded with detergent and sardines collided with it.

The Director Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Adeseye Margret, in a statement issued at 11.20pm on Thursday,disclosed that, “Eleven vehicles were destroyed. They include: two tankers, one tipper truck, three trailers, three cars and two micro-mini buses popularly known as korope.

“While an earlier incident on the Lagos- Ibadan expressway was successfully completed having evacuated the tanker and bus without resulting to fire, same cannot be said with the Iganmu fire outbreak..

“But there was no life lost and no injury recorded, as occupants in the vehicles escaped unhurt. “The raging fire has been curtailed, the dampening of pockets of fire still continues, to allow for investigation that will reveal the cause and the evacuation of the carcass to bring about normalcy”.

Investigations according to her “revealed that a fully laden 45,000 liters tanker experienced a mechanical fault while ascending the quadrapont bridge. This led to its roll back, causing it to hit another tanker and a faulty containerized trailer, resulting in an instant explosion and fire. It is important to reiterate that lives were not lost and no injuries were recorded in this unfortunate accident”, she stressed.

South West Coordinator of the National Emergency Management Agency, Mr Ibrahim Farinloye, said 12 high tension poles were also destroyed by the inferno.

Farinloye earlier warned residents of Moshood Abiola Way through Sifax, down to Ijora Under bridge and Apapa to suspend use of naked fire, as it could spark up another fire due to spillage of the product into drainage in their communities. He also advised against the use of streams and tributary of any rivers for washing or bathing .

Hours later, he declared that, “the environment is quite safe now. People can start their normal life by cooking and other activities they wish to do”.

LASG officials visit scene.

Meanwhile, a delegation from the Lagos State Governor, Babajjide Sanwo-Olu, visited the scene yesterday to assess the extent of the disaster. Director of the Lagos State Fire and Rescue Service, Adeseye Margret, who received the delegation, led them on a tour of the scene. The ongoing evacuation operation according to Margret, “would lead to the reopening of the Moshood Abiola Way, which connects the dual-quadrapont bridge in Iganmu, Lagos, soon”.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

News

Junior Pope betrayed me repeatedly – Yul Edochie

Published

on

Nollywood actor Yul Edochie has claimed that his late colleague, Junior Pope, betrayed him repeatedly despite his being there for him in his times of need.

 

According to Edochie, it was the reason he shunned the late actor’s burial in Enugu State on Friday.

 

He said he wanted to wait till after Junior Pope’s burial before he reveal how the late actor betrayed him.

He promised the full story of how Junior Pope betrayed him soon.

On his Instagram story, Edochie wrote: “I didn’t want to say anything till after his burial. I know many asked why I wasn’t there. Why I haven’t said anything about it since.

“I took him like a brother & good friend. I was there for him when he needed me. But he stabbed me in the back repeatedly. That’s life!

“I’ll drop the full details soon so others can learn from it.

“Be careful what you wish people, it could come to you.”

Recall that Junior Pope died on April 10, 2024, alongside three others after their boat capsized on the Anam River in Anambra State while returning from a film location.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending