Connect with us

Headline

Car Crashes Into A Building In Lagos, four Hospitalized

Published

on

No fewer than four male adults have sustained severe injuries in an accident involving a Lexus car along Liasu Road in the Idimu area of Lagos State.

 

The incident happened on Sunday at about 5 am.

 

The vehicle was said to be moving at top speed when it lost control, swerved off the road and rammed into a shop opposite a Catholic church in the area.

The impact of the crash also damaged a building behind the shop thereby affecting some of its occupants who were still asleep.

Eyewitnesses told our correspondent that the occupants sustained varying degrees of injury in the process.

An eyewitness, Sodiq Aderemi, said the injured victims were labourers who were employed to work in the building situated on the premises.

He said, “The vehicle was coming from the Council bus stop when it got to this point and crashed into the shop. It destroyed all the goods in the shop. The people living in the building behind the shop were labourers and they were close to 15. They work in an uncompleted building on the premises and sleep there at night. While four of them were seriously injured, two others fell unconscious. They were later resuscitated after a while. The bricks of the fence fell on them while they were still sleeping.”

Another resident who identified himself only as Abidemi said the car was stopped by an electric pole which was also damaged in the process.

He said, “The accident would have been fatal if not for an electric pole that stopped it. Thank God, it also happened in the daytime and not when the owner of the shop was in there. However, she was called this morning that her shop had been destroyed and she came around with her husband. They have gone to report the incident at the police station.

The injured victims were said to have been taken to the hospital where they are currently receiving treatment.

Although the driver escaped unhurt, he was nabbed by residents while trying to run away from the scene of the incident.

One of the residents, Adekunle Daisi, who stopped him from running away said, “The occupants of the car were three. Two of them escaped while one of them was caught. He was brought back to the point where the accident happened. Some aggrieved persons wanted to set the car on fire and also lynch him before they were later prevented from doing so. He was later forced to follow the injured victims to the hospital where he was told to pay for their hospital bills.”

Some of the victims who sustained minor injuries were also treated at the hospital and discharged immediately.

The police had yet to arrive as of the time our correspondent left the scene of the incident.

Headline

Breaking news: Minimum Wage: Labour rejects FG’s N54,000 offer

Published

on

The organised labour has rejected the Federal Government N54,000 new minimum wage proposal.

 

According to reliable source, the meeting on the ongoing negotiations on new minimum wage has been adjourned till Wednesday after the organised labour.

 

Media report has it that the Federal Government upped its offer from its earlier proposed N48,000 to N54,000.

Tuesday’s meeting came as a result of the walkout staged by members of the organised labour following the proposal of N48,000 as minimum wage by the Federal Government during last week’s meeting.

During that meeting, the OPS had also proposed N54,000 while labour insisted on its N615,000 living wage demand.

Our correspondent who spoke to sources who attended the follow-up meeting on Tuesday learnt that the Federal Government upped its offer from N48,000 to N54,000.

“Well, during the meeting, the government increased its offer from N48,000 to N54,000. However, labour rejected that offer and the meeting has been adjourned till Wednesday,” a source who asked not to be named said.

When asked if the government’s side was showing any sign of seriousness, the labour leader said, “No seriousness at all. Even state governors did not show up. Those who represented them, like Bauchi and Niger states, did not have the mandates to speak on their behalf.

Continue Reading

Headline

Real Madrid’s goalkeeper shares recovery insights after two injuries

Published

on

Real Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois has opened up about his recovery journey following two serious knee injuries.

 

Courtois said, “In August, I cried because the worst thing that can happen to you in football is a cruciate ligament injury. When I returned home, I said that I was going to work hard and come back stronger. That was my idea from the beginning: to stay positive, fight, never give up, and push my limits.

 

“Many thought my season was over, but I knew it wasn’t,” Courtois told Marca.

Recall that for most of the current season, Courtois missed out due to two injuries: a cruciate ligament tear and a meniscus injury. In his absence, first-choice goalkeeper was Chelsea’s loanee Kepa Arrizabalaga, and later, he faced competition from Andriy Lunin.

Upon his return, Courtois played in 3 La Liga matches, keeping clean sheets in all of them. In the last game against Alaves, the Belgian made 10 saves.

Earlier, it was reported that Courtois’ recovery from injury will be featured in a documentary series.

Continue Reading

Facebook

Trending